Tax return

This applies to you who are resident in another Nordic country and have income in Denmark.

How do you submit your tax return in Denmark?

When you are taxable in Denmark, you will automatically receive an annual statement in TastSelv in March. The tax assement notice contains the information that the Danish tax agency has received from employers, pension funds, banks and others. Many Danish taxpayers do no need to file any further information. You only need to change your tax assessment notice if the information provided by employers, pension funds or banks is incorrect or if information is missing.

If you have not received tax assessment notice

If you are liable to pay tax in Denmark and you have not received your tax assessment notice by March, you must file your tax return online, regardless of whether your income is positive or negative. You can file your tax return in Skattestyrelsen self-service system E-tax (TastSelv) at (in Danish), where you have to log on using either your NemID or E-tax password (TastSelv-kode). The deadline for filing the tax return is 1 May. However, if you have income from abroad, are entitled to tax-free deductions or allowances outside Denmark or if you are self-employed, the deadline are extend until 1 July. Once you have filed information about your income and tax-free deductions and allowances, your tax assessment notice will be available online immediately. The tax assessment notice will show whether you have paid too much tax and will have overpaid tax refunded to you, or whether you have paid too little tax and need to pay outstanding tax.

If you are self-employed, you can find the tax information that the Danish tax agency has received about you in E-tax for individuals under "Skatteoplysninger" (Tax information).

Obligation to declare your foreign income in your country of residence

Your must declare to the tax administration in your country of residence that you have income and assets abroad.

Exchange of information between the tax authorities

In order to ensure the correct taxation, all the Nordic countries have rules requiring employers, banks and others to submit information to the tax authorities about any wages, pensions, dividends, interest etc. that they have paid. This information includes the name and address of the recipient and the type and amount of income concerned. The obligation to provide information also applies to payments made to persons living in other countries.

In order to ensure the correct taxation the tax authorities in the Nordic countries have agreed to exchange tax information. The exchange takes place every year between appointed units within the tax authorities and the information is transmit through secured channels. Large quantities of data is exchange between the Nordic countries. The tax authorities in the residence country to control that person with cross-border activities have fulfilled their obligations to report their income and assets from abroad use this information.