Danish National Register (Folkeregistret)

You have to report your move when you move to or from Denmark.

Moving to Denmark

If you plan to stay in Denmark for more than 6 months, you must report your move to Denmark no later than 5 days after entering Denmark.

Everyone who moves to Denmark must appear in person, at the Citizens Services Centre (Borgerservice) in the municipality in which they are to reside, or at the International Citizen Service (ICS), located in Aalborg, Aarhus, Odense and Copenhagen.

This also applies to Danish citizens, who move back to Denmark. If you move to Denmark together with your family, all family members must appear in person at the Citizens Services Centre (Borgerservice) or at ICS.

The type of documentation required, depends on which country you come from.

Read more under 'Borgerservice' at the website of the municipality to which you are moving or at International House Copenhagen - Apply your cpr number here

Please visit icitizen.dk for more information. At the website, you will find checklists, that tell you if your nearest ICS can issue a civil registration number on behalf of the municipality you are going to stay in and what to bring.

Moving to another Nordic country

If you move from Denmark to another Nordic country, you must also report this to your Danish relocation municipality before leaving.

Civil registration number

Everyone who becomes registered with the Danish National Register will receive a civil registration number.

The civil registration number is a ten-digit number. The first 6 digits indicate your date of birth (DDMMYY), while the last four digits are a serial number. The last digit (control digit) indicates the person's gender. Women are given an even control digit, while men are given an odd.

Everyone who has been given a civil registration number will keep the same number for their entire lifetime and must use it every time they are in contact with the Danish authorities.

If you do not live in Denmark, but receives taxable income from Denmark, you must have a personal tax number at the time of disbursement. More information can be found under Tax card.

You must provide your civil registration number or your personal tax number, when you open an account with a Danish bank. Accounts are usually created as an “Easy Account”. Read more about Easy Account at Nemkonto.