Do you live in another Nordic country and own shares in Finland?

This applies to you who live in another Nordic country and own shares in Finland. This information only concerns taxation of this type of income.

Dividend from shares

Taxation in Finland

Receipts of dividend from Finland are subject to Finnish final tax at source of 15 %.  The payer withholds this tax at payment. No income tax return has to be filed in Finland for a payment subject to tax at source.

If more than 15 % has been withheld as tax in Finland, please contact the payer - e.g. the bank that has relayed the payment to you - to make arrangements for refunding the excessive amount to you.  

Taxation in your country of residence

You should declare the Finland-sourced dividend income and the tax withheld in Finland in the income tax return that you file in your country of residence. This income is subject to tax not only in Finland, but also in your country of residence. For avoiding double taxation, the Finnish tax  is deducted from the tax you pay on this income in country of residence. 

Capital gains derived from selling shares

If you have never lived in Finland, your capital gains from selling shares in a Finnish company are not subject to tax in Finland. (There are different rules concerning shares in housing companies)

If you are a Finnish citizen and continue to be a Finnish tax resident, the capital gain may be taxable not only in the Nordic country where you are living, but also in Finland. Report the sale of securities and shares on form 9A or via MyTax. The tax rate is 30 or 34 %. 

Declare the profit that you made in the income tax return of your country of residence.  For avoiding double taxation, the tax payable in Finland is deducted from the tax you pay on this income in your country of residence. 

Select the other country here:   Denmark | Iceland | Norway | Sweden