Social security

Where are you social secured?

There are common rules about social insurance within the EEA-countries that determine in which country you should be social secured. To receive more information you should contact

Obligation to pay social security contributions

The social security systems in the Nordic countries are financed in different ways. Which fees to be paid, what amount and the way of calculation may vary between the countries.

If you are social secured in Iceland the social security contributions are payed according to Icelandic rules.

National Insurance is financed by the State Treasury. Individuals do not pay a separate premium for National Insurance, but employers pay social security contributions on all paid wages.

Self-employed person's contributions

If you are self-employed and carry on business as a one-man business or partnership you must yourself pay social security contributions in the form of self-employed person's contributions. The self-employed person's contributions are calculated on the net income, i.e. the surplus from business activity. If you carry on business in a limited company the company pays employer's contributions on your salary in the same way as for employees.

Deduction for social security contributions

There are no deduction for social security contributions paid abroad in Iceland